Our Timeline

Timeline

1919

1919

  • Established the Civic Improvement Association (CIA) (Feb 9)
  • Decorah Republican Newspaper announced CIA’s establishment and their plans to construct a bandstand (Feb 20)
  • Dedicated Soldiers and Sailors Memorial–under construction (Jul 4)

1920

1920

  • John Vana sold the future Riverside Park property to G.F. Heuser (Feb 7)
  • Dance held at ABCS Opera Hall to raise funds for bowery–net proceeds: $6.68 (Jul 5)
  • Decided to build bowery/open-air pavilion (Aug 20)
  • Decorah Republican Newspaper announced plans to establish the Riverside Park (December 16)

1921

1921

  • Approved plans to build an open bowery (May 9)
  • Decorah Republican Newspaper announced the plans to build a permanent pavilion (May 26)
  • Completed and dedicated the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial in Wilson Square (Jul 4)

1922

1922

  • Opened Riverside Golf Links
  • Held first dance at the Riverside Pavilion (May 10)
  • Purchased park land from G. F. Heuser to establish a park (Aug 3)
  • G.F. Heiser built a cottage in Riverside Park—still standing (Aug)

1924

1924

  • Approved plans to erect Antonin Dvorak Memorial (Jul)
  • District of Prague Catholic Sokols Tournament held at Riverside Park (Aug 29-31)

1925

1925

  • Erected and dedicated the Dvorak Memorial (Sep 28)
  • Voted to add 10-sided annex to pavilion

1926

1926

  • Purchased uniforms for Spillville Band

1927

1927

  • Purchased concert grand piano

1928

1928

  • Held the Public Gymnastic Exhibition at the Riverside Park (Jun 10)

1929

1929

  • Completed 10-sided pavilion annex
  • Adopted Dvorak Highway signage project

1930

1930

  • Added south side orchestra stage and latticed ceiling

1931

1931

  • Incorporated as a non-profit organization (May 31)

1932

1932

  • Mrs. Tillie Meyer donated the footbridge

1933

1933

  • Experienced massive flood damage from the Turkey River (Apr)
  • Held annual Dvorak Music Festival–40th anniversary (Sep 17)

1934

1934

  • J.C. Wagner made small tables for the dining room
  • Added wings beyond the fireplaces east and west of the dance floor

1935

1935

  • The Cedar Rapids Symphony performed at the Dvorak Music Festival
  • Replaced the pine dance floor with hard maple–installed 4,320 sq. ft.
  • Built a bandstand north of The Inwood (where picnic shelter is located)
  • St. Wenceslaus Church and Parish held Diamond Jubilee event at The Inwood/Riverside Park (Sep 28-30)

1936

1936

  • Purchased additional property for Riverside Park

1937

1937

  • Established the Lily Pond: plastered and drilled pump by chain link
  • Purchased additional property for Riverside Park
  • Luther College Band performed at the Dvorak Music Festival

1938

1938

  • Purchased an additional 12 acres–22 acres total
  • Luther College Band performed at the Dvorak Music Festival
  • Graded the ball diamond
  • Added Japanese lanterns to dance hall decor

1939

1939

  • A.G. Snowden Band performed at the Dvorak Music Festival

1940

1940

  • Membership grew to 42
  • Reshingled the roof
  • Featured “Old Time” bands on Tuesday nights and ballroom dancing on Thursday nights (1940s)

1946

1946

  • Dance admission reached $0.65

1948

1948

  • Remodeled the pavilion and put “The Inwood” in neon lights

1950

1950

  • Hall rental was $30.00 per night

1951

1/1/1951

  • Installed auxiliary light plant

1952

1952

  • Redecorated The Inwood
  • Hall rental was $40

1953

1953

  • Father Flanagan’s Boy’s Town Choir Concert (Sep)
  • Built booths on west side of dance floor (Sep)

1954

1954

  • Purchased compressor, popcorn machine, and ice machine

1955

1955

  • Built booths on the east side of dance floor
  • Adopted the slogan: Dance and Stay Young

1959

1959

  • Purchased an additional 2 acres–24 acres total

1960

1960

  • First Teen Hop (May 27)
  • Added center oval island in dining room
  • Moved the bar to the west wall
  • Moved the kitchen to the north end
  • Moved the front entrance and ticket booth further north
  • Built (extended existing) booths on the east side

1963

1963

  • Constructed G.F. Heiser Memorial by Lily Pond

1965

1965-1970

  • Temporarily discontinued Independence Day Celebration

1971

1971

  • Reinstated annual Independence Day Celebration

1976

1976

  • Dedicated G.F. Heiser plaque
  • Installed lights on ball diamond

1978

1978

  • Remodeling: removed dining room center island

1979

1979

  • Renovated Dvorak Memorial for Dvorak Music Festival

1981

1981

  • Renewed 50-year Articles of Incorporation in perpetuity

1982

1982

  • Built picnic shelter north of The Inwood

1983

1983

  • Fenced ball diamond

1985

1985

  • Replaced maple dance floor

1988

1988

  • Build concession stand near ball diamond bleachers

1990

1990

  • Adopted open membership

1993

1993

  • Held a 3-day centennial celebration of Antonin Dvorak’s visit in 1893 (Aug 6-8)
  • Rededicated Dvorak Memorial and Dvorak Highway
  • Experienced extensive flood damage to grounds and building (Aug 15)

1994

1994

  • Repaired The Inwood roof
  • Planted row of spruce trees north of ball diamond–parallel to B16 (Spring)
  • Participated in the Spillville Celebration: Bily Brothers and 100 years of Incorporation/140 Years of Settlement (Jul 15-17)

1995

1995

  • Planted a 2nd row of spruce trees–totaling 52
  • Celebrated 75 Years of Inwood Memories (Jul 13-16)

2008

2008

  • Experienced extensive flood damage (Jun 8)

2013

2013

  • Built entry/awning and handicap-accessible bathroom
  • Held fundraiser to raise money for flood-damaged floors (Nov 1)

2014

2014

  • Held fundraiser to raise money for flood-damaged floors (May 2-3)
  • Replaced the dining room floor

2016

2016

  • Experienced extensive flood damage (Aug 24)

2017

2017

  • Held fundraiser to raise money for the roof (Sep)

2018

2018

  • Turkey River rose to 14.42 feet (flood stage is 9 feet)

2019

2019

  • Repaired and reshingled The Inwood roof (Jun)